The entrance process to these institutes is very competitive. IIMs conduct CAT or Common Admission Test for more than 1200 graduate programs in management across the seven campuses in various parts of the country. After the test each institute individually conducts personal interviews and group discussions to assess the eligibility of the students. Due top the huge number of students taking the entrance examination in comparison to the seats available, it is said that IIMs are more selective about candidates than all the business schools in US put together.
List of IIMs in India
- Established in the year 1961, Indian institute of Management Ahmedabad has assigned the decade of 2000 as the decade of internationalization.
Initially the institute had collaboration with the Harvard Business School and one of its tasks was to professionalize the Indian management. IIM
Ahmedabad has student exchange programs with globally renowned business schools.
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore was established in the year 1971 owing to the success of IIM Ahmedabad and IIM Calcutta. The
institute offers many specialized courses in the field of public policy and management and software enterprise management. IIM Bangalore is frequently
ranked at the top in the rankings among the best B-schools in Asia.
- The Indian Institute of Management Calcutta established in the year 1961 is the oldest among the seven IIMs across the country. IIM
Calcutta provides one year part time long duration programs in Executive Program in Business Management, General Management program for IT Industry, Business Leaders Program, Global Managers Program and Special Management Program besides others.
- Indian Institute of Management Indore is the youngest amongst the IIMs established in the year 1998. The institute has a sprawling campus of
more than 190 acres with the best facilities to train the students. IIM Indore runs Management Development programs throughout the year for developing the managerial skills of professionals from various fields.
- Indian Institute of Management Lucknow established in the year 1984 aims at providing excellence in management sciences to its students. The post graduate program offered in business management to working managers is a unique program designed for professionals who wish to enhance their existing skill while continuing working. IIM Lucknow is the only IIM to have opened a satellite campus located in the NCR region of Noida.
- Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode was established in the year 1996. The institute offers post-graduate and doctoral programs besides
other programs to students. Some of the renowned foreign B-schools with which they conduct student exchange program include European Business School
(Germany), Bocconi University (Italy), Copenhagen Business School (Denmark) and ESCP-EAP (France).
- Indian Institute of Management Shillong also known as Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management was established in the year 2005. The courses offered in this institute include Fellowship Program, Post-Graduate Program and Management Development Programs. IIM Shillong organized the first of its kind golf tournament for B-Schools in India.