The IIT Joint Entrance Exams popularly known as IIT-JEE is the entrance examinations for getting admission to the various Bachelors Degree courses. There are three entrance examinations on various courses for admission to the post graduate courses. These examinations are Graduate Aptitude Test in engineering or GATE, Common Entrance Examination for Design or CEED and JAM. Only students who have secured 60% or more marks in their 10+2 examinations will be eligible to sit for the entrance exams.
List of IITs in India:
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay was established in the year 1958 in Powai. Established with assistance from UNECSO and funds from the then Soviet Union, the institute has 14 departments and 10 multi disciplinary centres besides two schools of excellence. Over the years, IIT Bombay has
developed as one of the premier institutes in India providing education in various fields is at par with the best in the world.
- Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati which was established in the year 1996 was the sixth IIT to be set up. The institute has 11 departments covering all the major science subjects. Within a very short time IIT Guwahati has successfully build the necessary infrastructure for the students to undertake advanced research in various fields.
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi was established in the year 1961. The institute has 13 departments, two schools of excellence and 11 multi
disciplinary centers covering over 700 courses every semester. IIT Delhi is well known for the undergraduate courses that it offers to students.
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras was established in the year 1959. The institute has 11 departments of engineering and five other departments. The institute has more than 400 faculty, more than 400 students and more than 1200 administrative and support staff to run the institute.
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur was established in the year 1959 in the industrial town of Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. The institute has a
sprawling campus where more than 2000 students study. IIT Kanpur offers courses in five fields which include Management, Science, Humanities, Inter Disciplinary and Engineering.
- Established in the year 1847 Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee was the oldest institute of technical education in Asia. The institute
provides students with a wide range of academic options. IIT Roorkee also offers a two year residential MBA program along with the engineering degree.
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur was established in the year 1951. Among al the IIT, IIT Kharagpur has the largest campus, highest
number of students enrolled and the most number of departments. The institute has 19 departments, 8 multi-disciplinary centers and 13 schools which
have been declared as centers of excellence.