Online education can be defined as "A credit-granting courses or education training delivered primarily via the Internet to students at remote locations, including their homes." This is a relatively new concept, giving students the freedom to study at their own pace in the comfort of their homes. In today's day and age online learning has become a revolutionary new concept that has broken the boundaries of conventional education giving students the ability to interact with hundreds of students around the world.
Online degree course in India have been gaining popularity in the recent years as many students prefer the exposure and convenience distance education gives them, though online courses require students and teachers to meet in a physical setting periodically for lectures, labs or exams, this is acceptable as long as the time spent in the physical setting does not exceed twenty five percent of the total course time.
Online courses comprise of web based learning, computer based learning, virtual education and digital collaboration. Study material is delivered via the internet, intranet/extranet, audio or video tapes, satellite TV and CD ROM. Online degree courses in India can be self paced or led by an instructor and includes media in the form of text, video, audio, animation, image, streaming video and audio.
Advantages of Online Education:
- The student needn't give up their present occupation; they can work and study simultaneously.
- An online degree can help boost the student's career prospects.
- Gives one the opportunity to study in the top colleges in India and abroad without changing their location.
- No need to travel or pay for boarding.
- Gives the student a degree from universities recognized worldwide.
- Helps those who have financial constrains, as these courses turn out to be cheaper than regular college courses.
Online education in India is still in a beginning stage, though online education abroad is very popular among students and professionals wanting to add to their qualifications.
List of Online Courses in India:
Arts and Architecture:
Business and Management:
Healthcare and Human Services
Science and Technology
- Associate of Arts in General Studies
- Continuing and Professional Studies
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Security Systems
Free Online Courses:free online education has become a rage amongst students as it provides all the benefits of campus education, free of cost and in the comfort of one's home. A free online course ensures that a student gets their degree in short time span, free of cost. There are some institutions that require students to pay a minimum fee at the time of registration for online courses that are free of cost.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (New Delhi)
- Alagappa University, Sivanagar
- Pondicherry University, Karaikudi
Universities Offering Online Education in India:
- Capella University
- Devry University
- Keller Graduate School
- Baker College
- Capitol College
- National Technological University
- Florida Metropolitan University