Online Education is fast becoming a major preferred mode of education among students. Enrolling to regular courses is increasingly getting highly competitive in India; so online education and distance education has come as a wonderful alternative and several students opt for this. As the term itself suggests, online education means web based learning, but there is no universally accepted definition. So, the methods used for implementing online education may differ from institute to institute. Some online courses may require students and teachers to meet from time to time for physical lectures or to conduct laboratory experiments while some may not require this. This can vary depending on the course which one opts to take up.
E-learning scope in India is immense. There are several universities and other educational institutes that offer online education facilities to their students. Besides this, mock IIT-JEE entrance exams are also conducted by various organizations.
Distance Education courses are very popular in rural India. One of the main reasons for this is the provision that one can get degrees from various renowned universities from anywhere in India. Distance education is given through correspondence courses, where the student and the teacher are separated in time and space and sometimes both. Distance learning is doing a wonderful job by enabling the less advantaged sections of the society have an opportunity to get educated.
There are different types of distance learning options available to students. Some of them are postal correspondence courses, interactive CD-ROM courses, pocket PC/mobile learning course, telecourse/ broadcast course through radio or television and synchronous or asynchronous internet courses. Just like online education, in distance education too, students will not have to relocate to new places or make any changes in their existing work. All they need to do is find out about some good distance education providing institute, get enrolled and get a degree.
The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) is the premier institute for providing distance education in India. This university is one of the most recognized names in this field and at any given time there are 1.4 million students enrolled in various courses. Some of the other institutes that offer distance education to students include:
- Acharya Nagarjuna University Center for Distance Education (CDE)
Guntur, Andhra Pradesh
- Alagappa University Directorate of Distance Education
Sivanagar, Tamil Nadu
- Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education
Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu
- Anna University Chennai Centre for Distance Education
Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Anna University Coimbatore Directorate of Online & Distance Education
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Andhra University School of Distance Education (AU SDE)
Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
- Bangalore University Directorate of Correspondence Courses and Distance Education
- Bharathidasan University Center for Distance Education
Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu
- Bharathiar University School of Distance Education
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Barkatullah Vishwavidyalaya Institute of Open & Distance Education
Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- Burdwan University Directorate of DistanceEducation
Bardhaman, West Bengal