Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya was inaugurated on 16th June, 1983. It was then known as Guru Ghasidas University. It is a Central University named after Guru Ghasidas, who was the founder of Satnami Movement. It is situated at Bilaspur and is among the 2 universities located in the state of Chattisgarh. GGU extends its jurisdiction upon ‘Bilaspur Revenue Division’. The present Chancellor of the university is Mr. K.K. Chandrakar and the Vice- Chancellor is Prof. Lakshman Cahturved
Guru Ghasidas University offers the students diverse courses in undergraduate and postgraduate level as well as professional and research-oriented programmes. The faculties of Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya are listed below.
- Department of English
- Department of Education
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Journalism & Mass Communication
- Department of Library & Information Science
- Department of Pure & Applied Physics
- Department of Computer Science & Information Technology
- Department of Pure & Applied Maths
- Department of Botany
- Department of Rural Technology
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Physical Education
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Economics
- Department of Adult & Continuing Education
- Department of Political Science
- Department of History
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Forestry Wild Life Environmental Science & Eco Development
- Department of Bio-Technology
- Department of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Engineering
The facilities and services offered by Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya to its students, faculty members and the other staffs are
- Computer Centre- The centre is equipped with modern machines and high quality of software. The centre helps tremendously in teaching, research, examination, finance, examination etc.
- Central Library- It has more than 85,000 books, 1650 journals, 5000 research works, and other important documentaries.
- Women’ Studies & Development Centre- The centre aims at promoting the message of gender equality and other major issues.
- National Service Scheme- The University has 3 units of NSS with more than 300 students.
- Hostel- There are 2 hostels, one for girls and the other for boys.
- Post office and Bank
- Health Centre and Cultural Club,
- Proctorial Board- The University has set up a “Proctorial Board” for maintenance of discipline within the campus
- Staff Quarters and Guest House
- SC/ST Cell, Cafeteria, Auditorium, Sports, PCO and Photocopier, Bus Service.
Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya has been a member of the “Association of Commonwealth Universities” and “Association of Indian Universities”. NAAC i.e. National Assessment & Accreditation Council has credited Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya as a B+ university.