The approval for the setting up of Indira Gandhi National Tribal University was passed by the Union Cabinet 15th June 2007. Thus a tribal university was finally established in India in the year 2007. Indira Gandhi National Tribal University is located in Amarkantak in Madhya Pradesh. It is a teaching as well as affiliating university which is funded by the Central Government. The establishment of this tribal university has promoted and facilitated higher education for the tribal people.
Objectives of the Indira Gandhi National Tribal University
- Promotion of research and education in the fields of tribal art, tradition, culture, language, medical systems, customs, and economic activities especially those based on forests, imparting special studies on flora and fauna, technological advancements, natural resources etc.
- Provide higher education facilities to the tribal people of India.
- Collaborating with various universities and other organizations of national and international importance for undertaking different cultural and research programmes for the tribal people.
- Formulation of development models, monographs, reports, etc, and organizing conferences and seminars, which are tribal centric.
The following powers are vested at the hands of the Indira Gandhi National Tribal University.
- To offer instruction in those branches of education as considered important by the University.
- Make provision for advancement of knowledge and research.
- To grant diploma, certificates, degrees, when needed and withdrawal of such degrees, diplomas etc if and when necessary.
- To organize extra-mural studies and trainig services.
- Facilitate distance education
- Provide recognition to centres of higher education and also withdraw the same when necessary
- To establish centres, colleges, institutions as and when needed by the University.
- Organize refresher programmes, workshops, seminars and other such programmes which are necessary for the development of the population.
- Determining the standard of admission in to the university
- Set up regional centres at different tribal regions of India nad many more.
Some of the faculties of the University in which the university imparts education are
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Life Science
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Management & Commerce
The Indira Gandhi National Tribal University extends its jurisdiction over the whole India. It is open for persons from both the sexes and irrespective of race, caste, creed and class. Students from this university are supposed to stay in hostels and pursue there education. The university also has the power to set up 1 school at least in each of the regional centres. The visitor of the University is the President of India.