Tejpur University was founded in 1994 by an “Act of Parliament”. It is a Central University whose current Governor is Janaki Ballabh Patnaik and the Chancellor is Prof. M.K. Chaudhuri. It is situated in Tejpur, Assam. The university campus is in East Tejpur at a place called Nappam. The campus spreads over an area of 242 acres. The university also has a “University Anthem” written by Dr. Bhupen Hazarika. The Anthem tells us about the ideals of the university.
The objectives of the Tejpur University are listed below.
- It should provide inter-disciplinary programs and employment oriented courses that would help in developing the needs of Assam.
- It should provide and facilitate research in the fields which bears a special relevance to the state and also promote research in areas of technology and science.
- It should promote the study of the diverse cultural heritage of the state and also to encourage national integration.
- It should undertake distance education methods to impart higher education for all groups of people.
Diverse undergraduate sources, postgraduate courses and doctoral programs are offered by the University of Tejpur under various academic divisions. These academic divisions are as follows.
- School of Humanities & social Science
- School of Science &Technology
- School of Management Science
- School Energy, Environmental & Natural Resources
- School of Engineering
The varied facilities and services offered by this Public University are computer centre, research and development services, guest house, health centres, hostels, IPR Cell, Equal Opportunity Cell, training and placement facilities, information cell, sports etc. The library of Tejpur University has a collection of 45600 volumes of printed documents, 220 journals, database through “INDEST-AICTE Consortium”. The library also has 81 VCDs and 1200 CDs on different contents.
The 1st university to start a course on “Master of Technology” in Computer Seismology, in our country is the Tejpur University. It is also among the few universities in our country which has a “Department of Energy”. The department has also started an interdisciplinary program on “Master of Technology” in Bioelectronics.